Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ready or not...13.1 here I come!

Sunday was a very important day for me and the husband...it was our last long run before we begin tapering for the half {look at me, sounding like a real runner and all...trust me, I still have no idea what I'm talking about...most of the time!} 

I was starting to get a little worried about the run when the wind was OUT OF CONTROL on Saturday; and by out of control, I mean 20-30 mile per hour winds. Luckily we went down to Katy Trail in Dallas and there were enough trees to block out most of the wind. All in all the run was pretty uneventful...my body felt good (except for a little knee pain at mile 10), but when I finished at 11 miles I felt great and still had a little bit left in the tank...which is EXACTLY where I want to be 2 weeks before I tackle 13.1 miles. 

One thing I love about running is how clearly I seem to think while running and how observant I become. For example....during the first 3.5 miles I counted 14 dogs (I love me some cuddly little puppies!) and 2 cats. 

Another thing on my mind during my long run was how thankful I am for my "running partner". Now, I really don't have a running partner in the traditional sense so I guess I have a quasi-running partner, my husband. He and I are both training for this half and I like to say that we're doing this together. While we don't run together (he's so fast *think Kenyan-fast* and I'm not-so-fast) we are almost always running at the same time. I don't think I could have made it through this training if it wasn't for his support & encouragement. Don't get me wrong, there were a few times where he drove me insane and I didn't want to listen to his advice or anything else for that matter...but he kept pushing me and I can't believe how far I've come! So, thanks for believing in my abilities quasi-running partner! 
mushy-mushy time is now over

Long run stats: 
11 miles
2:03:12
Pace 11:12/mile


3 comments:

  1. Awww, it's so great that you and your husband can run together. The great thing about having a partner is the added motivation and it doesn't matter how fast or slow your partner is as long as they continue to encourage you. You're going to do amazing at the half, I can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job dear!! You are doing an amazing job and it's a joy to see you accomplish things you never thought possible. As in all of our long runs...I will be waiting at the finish with a high five and a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel! My boyfriend is the one who inspired me to start running in the first place and still continues to support and encourage me. Even though we can't run together because he's crazy fast, I love that running is still something that we both share and do together..even if it's just doing the same races.

    Good luck at your half!! You'll do awesome! I can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete